Wednesday, June 6, 2007

SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO

People have told me for YEARS that I would like Santa Fe. And YES, I like Santa Fe very much!


This morning I went to the Georgia O'Keefe museum. In my view, it does not contain a very good selection of her work - I've seen better elsewhere. However, a docent made the experience very interesting and they have a very good documentary on her life.

The Spanish combined with Native American and 'Anglo' is really interesting. I was told that the blue paint on the doors and windows is traditional - to ward off evil spirits. Someone else told me today that sometimes people ask if US Dollar is the currency here!


Saint Francis
I really love Saint Francis. There is a Saint Francis Cathedral here.

And you see Saint Francis everywhere as you walk around town!






Travel Bug
I stopped for coffee at the best travel store I've ever seen. It had drawers of maps, travel books galore, wireless internet access, coffee, computers to use, travel everything but I think the best part was literature intermixed with the various travel books. I think it was a great business idea.



Canyon Road
I spent a large part of the day on Canyon Road - a street lined with galleries. Here are some of my favorites were C, NuArt, Selby Fleetwood, and Lew Allen.

The one downside I see to Santa Fe is that it seems somewhat 'geriatric'. I felt all day when I saw someone who looked my age - we noticed each other - because most people here seem a little older.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I have heard Santa Fe is really neat and very artsy, but I'm surprised to hear that it is older...what size is the city? from the way you describe it is seems small? It will be intersting to hear about the shopping part, what else besides adobe's and art?

I believe you had a statue of St. Francis growing up...?

Shannon said...

Someone told me the city is 60,000 - so pretty small. I think it's mostly jewelry and art.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, Shannon.

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. I love the blue doors.