Monday, June 4, 2007

BOULDER, COLORADO

Okay. Boulder. Well, for those of you who don't know already. The Subaru (who Ana is now calling Ladybug or LB) started smoking a little on the Utah mountain passes. We opened the hood in Heber City, Utah to discover that bread and acorns were embedded throughout the engine. Yes, you read that correct - BREAD and ACORNS! I had my car looked at one week before I left (by mechanics I adore in Seattle) and they gave me the go ahead. However, the neighborhood that I live in Seattle there are many retirement buildings and the retired folks are often feeding animals (squirrels/birds) in the park near my house. I guess some squirrel decided he got lucky and packed my engine with a loaf of bread! We couldn't even begin to get it all out in Heber City. We also later learned there was an oil pump issue. We ended up with a great auto place in Boulder but it took them 4 HOURS to clean out the BREAD and ACORNS in the engine today. Unbelievable.

Since our car was in the shop - we rented a car for the day. Our first site seeing spot was Celestial Seasonings (the tea company). It was homey little factory that smelled amazing with all the tea ingredients from around the world (lemongrass, peppermint, etc.)

Everyone recommended Pearl Street. So, that was our next stop. An area with shops and restaurants. Ate lunch at a place called 'Dish' - small joint with homemade sandwiches. Then we strolled the downtown for a few hours - people watched and looked in stores.

Overall, Boulder is a college town. There are a few interesting stores. Mostly, I saw: A)students B)extremely physically fit, attractive people everywhere in spendy outdoor clothes C)tourists D)'unique individuals'. I suspect most folks who live here may not be native of Colorado.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'm totally not shocked at the squirrels, but nonetheless laughing. Brook use to have squirrels stash nuts and eat them in the engine of his explorer at the Duportail House (those squirrels were also crazy we think from eating parts of the black walnut trees), they liked the warmth....needless to say they'd munch on cords and tubes also.

Interesting people observations, not totally shocked, I kind of feel like that is what most of those colorado towns like vail, boulder etc would have as visitors/habitants...at least the people I know who live there fall into most of those catagories.

Sean Riley - President, DogRiley said...

About 10 years ago we hatched a plan to do a comic book, based on Boulderites. It's central character was to be Roger Rodo (as in colo-rado) and his his trusty side kick Eco Dog, a golden retriever with a bandana.

They would battle evil multinational corporations trying to hide ecological catastrophes, with a band of PC friends.

I believe I have the plot outline for our first issue somewhere. Unfortunately we never found an illustrator, and lost interest in the project.

But funny nonetheless.

On a serious note, I built the first network for the Startup Go-Lite based in colorado, they had just formed, and still exist today, focusing on ultra lite camping / hiking gear.