Thursday, May 24, 2007

BLOG BEGINS

Blog begins with a trip. At this time, the trip will take place from June 1 to June 22. It will start in Seattle, Washington and end in Malvern, Pennsylvania. You may ask such questions as "Why Malvern?", "Why the 22nd?" Well, a garden tour is planned at Kate and Brook's house on that date with Miss Livy and Mr. Kevin in attendance. This is an unusual confluence that I don't want to miss! (Translation: family gathering at my sister's involving mom and dad.)

Or, you may go right to the root, and ask "Why The Trip at all?". Well, the purpose is threefold: trends, ideas and relocation. I'll get into that more as we go along...

But first, a diversion. For as long time, I've had an interest cross-country America travel combined with an interest in emerging _______ . (You fill in the blank: places, patterns, ideas, trends, design, art, social comments, people, boutiques, architecture, real estate, history, historic architecture, landscape, diy, crafts). Can this be collected under one term? Let me know if you know...

The place interest comes from a mixed-up, mash-up of influences. Take all the classic American road trip books and movies, then add Alistair Cooke "America" series (a particular favorite), plus Art Towns by John Villani, then Creative Class studies by Richard Florida, add something like"Bobos in Paradise" and "On Paradise Drive" by David Brooks. Then, a now ancient Utne Reader list titled "Most Enlightened Towns". Also, place lists always grab my attention (or are sent to me), like this one or this one (I can't help but think, 'Why wait to retire? Why now move there now!' :-).

At the root, I can't help but notice the same places keep hitting these lists and are talked about in these books. What's going on? I guess I want to see a few more (than I have) to assess the situation in person.

A recent read of "Peace Pilgram" did not help matters either ;-)

So, clearly this trip will not even BEGIN to touch on what I would like to see and do! It's been near impossible to keep it trim.

I plan to keep you posted here on what I'm seeing and learning along the way.